LINA IN ARGENTINA

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Final days States-side

Well, I've never blogged before, but I'm trying it instead of the mass e-mails I sent during my Costa Rica and Peru trips. For those of you who don't know, I am using my second-to-last semester at VCU to study abroad in Buenos Aires through the IFSA-Bulter Argentine Universities Program. I'm leaving on Sunday and I am getting very excited and very nervous. Also a little stressed because I haven't done much packing--my parents are getting annoyed. Once I arrive I will be taking a few classes at a university and doing an internship for credit with a human rights NGO. Sound vague? It's feeling pretty vague. Unfortunately, I won't know more until my orientation because universities in Argentina don't open up registration until the first week of classes.

What I do know is where I'll be living. IFSA-Butler provides housing in a home-stay, and I will be living with a woman named María Victoria Chovet. Her three children, ages 22, 23, and 24, also live in the house. They are all university students, so hopefully they'll help me make friends! María Victoria told me that the house is muy tranquilo, which basically means chill or laid-back. The house appears to be two blocks away from a park in one direction and two blocks away from a botanical garden in the other (thank you Google maps). And that's all I know about the trip so far!

If you read the blog, I'd love comments! It will be nice to know that anyone's actually reading this, and I know I'll be missing home.

More coming soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading it! I actually more impressed that I figured out how to respond than that you figured out how to post.

I know you'll do great in Argentina!

Love,

One of your annoyed parents.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lina! I'll be avidly reading, too! Miss you!

Besos,
Jamie

Nora said...

You're going to be in Palermo! Lucky. The family, the internship - I'm so jealous. I wish I were studying abroad again.

Anonymous said...

I was hanging out at the student-run coffeehouse place today and some American students were speaking Spanish, and one of them said '...Chevere.' And then I got excited, and missed Peru, and missed you, and aw, man. If it didn't cost one arm and one leg, I'd visit you over spring break. Eat some it cremates of the champinis and take lots of funny menu translation pictures for me, okay?

--your favorite cousin

Suzy Pollard said...

I'd like to echo Nora--I wish I were studying abroad again, too! I'll be reading and living vicariously. Thanks for sending me the link. If you have a free second at home in the next few days, it'd be great to see you before you leave (since I'm a block away). If you're too busy (I remember the insanity!), then no worries. I'll see you when you're back and wishing you were still there haha. :) Good luck packing! -Suzy

Sarah said...

Here's wishing you much more success than I had with blogging!! Mine is currently abandoned, ah well. I will be reading yours!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, which parent was that? I feel so hip! And, also, my hip hurts, which sometimes happens when you're hip. Enough of that--glad you've arrived safely. I love the photos--the place looks great. Be well, and happy. I wish I had EVER studied abroad! It's my retirement plan. Melinda