LINA IN ARGENTINA

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Shail, The Big Move, and MALBA

I would like to start by sharing a quick anecdote. In choir rehearsal yesterday, one of the men in the group came up to me excitedly and told me that on Wednesday he had seen the Shail choir perform. “The Shail choir!” he said, and then looked at me expectantly, as if I should know what he was talking about. “¡El coro de Shail! ¡De los Estados Unidos!” I kind of nodded. Clearly unsatisfied with my reaction, he solicited the help of a woman who speaks English. “He went last week to see the choir from Shail,” she told me. “I understood him,” I said. “I am not familiar with them, but I’m sure it was great!” Now she seemed surprised as well. “Shail,” she pushed. “From the university! They are muy conocido. Shail!” At which point it dawned on me that he had gone to see the Yale University choir. Stupid Argentine accent.

Anyway, this past week has been quite eventful. Well, it really just involved one big event that has greatly impacted everything here. Due to some really unfortunate circumstances, which I would happy to discuss via email, but probably shouldn’t write on the world wide web, I moved last Monday. It happened very quickly. I notified my program director of the situation on Friday, I went in to speak with him at noon on Monday, at two I met with the housing coordinator, at three I went back to my apartment to pack, and at 3:45 I was in my new apartment. It was a really uncomfortable few hours, but my program director and housing coordinator were really supportive, and the new homestay is fantastic.

The apartment is only about eight blocks away from where I lived before, which is nice because I don’t have to completely learn a new neighborhood or, more importantly, new colectivo and subte routes. I’m living with a lovely woman named Paz (it means peace--the IFSA housing coordinator and I decided it was a good sign) and her 22-year-old son, Juan. I have already spoken with them more than I did with all four members of the last family combined in three months. They chat with me, help me with Spanish, and have made me feel really welcome. They actually both speak perfect English, but are happy to let me practice Spanish. The apartment is bigger (not difficult), but my room is much smaller. It’s cozy, though, and I have my own bathroom and shower and much better pillows. The thing I am most excited about, though, is that we eat fruits and vegetables! There were never any in the other apartment (we’re not going to talk about weight-gain….). So this is going to be a much better situation. I am so much more comfortable and confident then I have been for months, and I’m kicking myself for not moving in March.

Other things are going pretty well. I am finished with my internship. Not really much to say about that. School is stressing me out, but school always stresses me out. I’ve met some good people in the last two weeks (in addition to Paz and Juan). Last weekend I went to a dinner party with my friend Meg and had one of the best nights I’ve had here. Meg is part of the Catholic student group at la UCA, and on Friday night she invited me (well, actually she begged me to come…this is how I know if you’re reading, Meg!) to a dinner they were having. The group was really nice, and a lot of them made a point to come and make conversation and get to know me. By the end of the night someone had brought out a guitar and everyone was singing! I want to go to the group meetings to hang out with them, even though I’m not Catholic, which Meg assures me is not a problem.

Yesterday I had choir rehearsal (concert’s coming up!) and then had a lovely day hanging out with my friend Mariano. I am embarrassed to say that I haven’t been to very many of the numerous museums in Bs.As., so we decided it was high time to visit the Museo de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires, aka MALBA. The inside of the building itself is similar to the east wing of the National Gallery in D.C., so it was familiar to me (reference this post). As in any museum there were pieces I really liked and pieces I really didn’t, but I really enjoyed the collection as a whole. I’m sure my grandmother could have told me a lot about the paintings. I really enjoyed the pieces by Uruguayan artist Joaquín Torres-García (if you can read Spanish, check out this website). The two paintings of his that I really liked were called Calle de Nueva York (New York Street) and Compsition symétrique universelle en blanc et noir (that's in French, I think it's Universal Symmetry in White and Black). I couldn't find photos of either painting, but this painting is similar to the latter and seems to be typical of his style:

Arte universal--image stolen from Wikipedia

We also saw this painting by Argentine painter Emilio Pettoruti:


We both recognized the painting, but we weren’t sure where we had seen it before. There were also paintings by Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera. It’s a great museum!

Today I explored my new neighborhood and found a very cute cafetería (coffee shop) a few blocks away with wifi! I love Sundays in this city. Everyone comes out to cafetererías and just sits and reads and chats and generally relaxes. Not a bad culture.

3 comments:

Lina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lissie Ertel said...

I'm so glad that you sound happy Lina! I look forward to every post... take care!
-Liss

Lazarillo Mochilero said...

¡ Malba is amazing !